Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Stairway Collage



Where is Joanna Gaines and her seemingly unlimited budget when you need her, right?  We've been in the HWCV for almost four months now, and I have made some progress in decorating.  But I don't have an HGTV worthy "reveal."

In our previous home, I fell into the trap of wanting to fill the space, but sometimes after a few months regretted what I bought.  This time around I am committed to making choices of things that I really like.  Even if that means the space sits empty for a while.

One of my first projects was a stairway collage.  This was something I have really been looking forward to doing for a long time.  I've always loved the idea of a collage of family photos going up the stairway. It just feels homey.  

So, here is where I started:

I found four matching frames that I liked.  These are 11x14 frames that I found at Hobby Lobby, and they are the main unifying factor in our collage.  (I love this picture of my sweet tot!  Big shout out to Colleen Woodruff Photography for the great family photo session last fall.)

I ran a line of blue painters tape up the stairway so that I had a guide to keep things level, and traced the frames on white butcher paper and used painters tape to attach them to the wall.  This gave me a good idea of what other size frames I would need to complete the collage.  Then I looked at frames that we already had and pulled out anything that might work.  Next I made approximately 74 trips to Hobby Lobby, Target, Meijer, Goodwill, etc to find the other frames I wanted to use.  (I still have a big pile of stuff to return.)  

The large frames have a really dark stained finish, and it was going to be impossible to match them perfectly, so I decided to vary the palate.  I have some lighter wood and also some off-white frames.  

As I decided on each frame, I traced it on white butcher paper and taped in in place on the wall.  Then I rearranged them over and over and over.  I had a paper collage for about a month because I was busy, indecisive, and just that classy.


When I finally had my mind set, I started by hanging the off white frame in the middle and then moved out from there to keep things balanced.


I read blogs from people who used the paper collage to make their nail holes, but I am just not that exact or patient.  As a result, the space between frames isn't perfectly equal, but close enough. I also learned that it is difficult to "eyeball" what is level when hanging things along a stairway.  You will definitely need a level for this job.



On the landing at the top of the stairway we have our large family photo and a couple of photo ledges.  The large family photo was gifted to us, and it fits so perfectly!
  

I still haven't chosen mats and photos for the other frames. This one has an old photo in it and isn't even the correct orientation.  It kind of makes me giggle.


To see the final reveal, check back in a month...or three... Until then, I have a few other posts in mind to show you soon, including kids rooms and my wall of lies.



No comments:

Post a Comment